Mar 18, 2024
Question: Personal troubles with living with Christianity. I'm in an area where it's pretty much not voluntary, and resultingly, I'll get ignored by the vast majority, even though I claim I'm Christian, I can't live with the religion because I over obsess on the ethical delimas that it seems that the majority fails to confront. Again, I only claim that I'm a Christian in order to best get along with everyone else, but my tendency to question things and possible failure to recognize the local norms, makes it difficult even to satisfy psychological NEEDS, making it next to impossible to thrive and survival, seemingly, seems more difficult than it needs to be. There is also a great deal of social enforcement leading most to having far fewer lifestyle options, as I'll hope to make a decent living.

A.I. answer: The struggle you are facing with living as a Christian in an environment where it feels obligatory and where ethical dilemmas are causing distress is a common challenge. The sources provided shed light on various aspects of this struggle:

1. **Internal Struggles**: Many Christians face internal struggles like doubt, fear, guilt, and shame that can impact their faith and well-being[4]. These struggles may stem from personal sin, mental health issues, or challenges in understanding God's sovereignty.

2. **Community Support**: Seeking support from the Christian community can be beneficial in navigating personal issues and ethical dilemmas[4]. Sharing struggles with others and receiving guidance can help address internal conflicts.

3. **Faith Testing**: Challenges and struggles are viewed as opportunities to test and strengthen one's faith[3]. These trials can reveal areas where faith needs strengthening and provide opportunities for growth.

4. **Understanding God's Role**: Trusting in God's sovereignty and grace can offer guidance in facing personal problems and ethical dilemmas[2]. Recognizing that struggles are part of the Christian journey can help in finding peace amidst challenges.

In summary, while facing difficulties living as a Christian in a challenging environment, seeking support from the Christian community, understanding the purpose of struggles in strengthening faith, and trusting in God's guidance can help navigate ethical dilemmas and internal conflicts. Remember that it's normal to question and seek answers, and finding a balance between questioning norms and respecting local customs is essential for personal growth and well-being.

Citations:
[1] I'm a Christian. Why Do I Still Have Constant Troubles? https://billygraham.org/answer/im-a-christian-why-do-i-still-have-constant-troubles/
[2] The Struggles of the Christian Life - Gentle Reformation https://gentlereformation.com/2020/01/14/the-struggles-of-the-christian-life/
[3] Why We Face Challenges as Christians - iBelieve.com https://www.ibelieve.com/faith/why-we-face-challenges-as-christians.html
[4] Life Issues - Ligonier Ministries https://www.ligonier.org/guides/life-issues
[5] Some thoughts on your 'personal problems' - Christ the Truth https://www.christthetruth.net/2009/09/08/some-thoughts-on-your-personal-problems/

Personal troubles with living with Christianity.

I'm in an area where it's pretty much not voluntary; resultantly, I'll get ignored by the vast majority, even though I claim I'm Christian. I can't live with the religion because I over obsess on the ethical delimas that it seems that the majority fails to confront. Again, I only claim that I'm a Christian in order to best get along with everyone else, but my tendency to question things and possible failure to recognize the local norms, makes it difficult even to satisfy psychological NEEDS, making it next to impossible to thrive and survival, seemingly, seems more difficult than it needs to be. there is also a great deal of social enforcement leading most to having far fewer lifestyle options, is they hope to make a decent living.

Hello Anonymous. The Ai gave you some good advice.. I think the best solution is to be honest and be respectful and tolerant. I would even do so even if others aren't as tolerant as you. The alternative is living a closet life which would likely be a stressful life.

Are you so sure that those in your community would ignore you or is that just your worst-case scenario thinking?

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking. Are you afraid of “coming out” as a nonbeliever or are you asking how to live as a nonbeliever among Christians?

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Reactions: Scooter
I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking. Are you afraid of “coming out” as a nonbeliever or are you asking how to live as a nonbeliever among Christians?
It would not be "loving" for Christians to ignore or even shun non-Christians. It would not be what Jesus would do!

But, I can imagine some Christians, especially in a family, choosing to shun a community member for living a sinful lifestyle, like for being in a gay relationship. As I've said before, most of my family members are Christians, and that's including my girlfriend. I came out as a non-believer respectfully and laid out some general reasons. I didn't want to open the door for a dialogue or debate unless I was sure that everyone understood that I was sharing my beliefs instead of trying to impose them on others. That avoids a lot of confrontations.

Unfortunately, if you are living under their roof, then some behaviors you will have to be kept discreet or not donoe at all while in that household. BUt you can do it when you're out of the household or community.

I'll get ignored by the vast majority, even though I claim I'm Christian
Someone wrote that a rough measure of unhappiness is the distance between the YOU :) which you front and present and the YOU :) which resonates with the right-now season of your life.

In fact, I’d recommend starting to transition to something like —

“I’m not particularly religious,” or

“I’m not a big believer in organized religion.”

And then, sadly for me, too,

Most people are just not interested in philosophy and deep thinking, pretty much on any topic. Then suddenly they are! Then they get their fill, or get it off their chest, or hash it out enough, and then it’s back to regular life.

Last edited: