Jul 1, 2021
This is a really good idea this forum. Hope it catches on.
Do you know Karen Armstrong?
I was a faithful Christian until I read her books. Now I'm just more confused.
But part of me will always be a Christian. Just not a good one .

Reactions: TracyRN
Last edited:
Hey Notsure. Welcome!

Members can't amend their own username but any staff can do it for them. You can PM me or let me know here.

I haven't heard much on Karen Armstrong. So far I've read about her being a Catholic author and commentator, and more of a progressive. She also gets into interfaith topics and that's been one of my interests since I've also explored different religions after leaving Christianity.

What's your view of her? Any particular book or view of hers that influenced your thinking on Christianity?

Last edited:
Reactions: notsuretobehonest
:) Welcome to the forum Nnotsure.

I have not read any of her books but I have listened to some of her talks on religion years ago. I remember listening to her talk about her book, The Case for God. It threw me off because I thought it was another defense of God's existence but it was more about history of religion.

So far I've read about her being a Catholic author and commentator, and more of a progressive.
Karen Armstrong is no longer part of any organized religion as far as I'm aware. She left Catholicism early on in her life. She would probably say that she is spiritual but not religious.

Reactions: notsuretobehonest
Karen Armstrong is no longer part of any organized religion as far as I'm aware. She left Catholicism early on in her life. She would probably say that she is spiritual but not religious.
Thanks for your response. I really respect her intellect. But I'm so used to believing, that it has become a security blanket. To do the same as her, doesn't feel right. It's like gambling. Really you should only gamble on one horse. To wager on all of them is cheating.
Anyway, since reading her I've been in a kind of depression. Stopped praying. I think we need to believe in something greater than ourselves. Otherwise we think we solve all problems with intellect.
You will notice that I tend to defend religion and Christianity, and criticise it at the same time. I feel like a divided self mentally ill.

What's your view of her? Any particular book or view of hers that influenced your thinking on Christianity?
Pretty much all of them. I've looked at about 5 of them. The first one I read about st. Paul sowed the seed. Saying the scriptures were written so long after Jesus death.
But before reading KA, I started to doubt the Bible re homosexuality.
I think they need to edit the Bible now. Of course they won't.

Anyway, since reading her I've been in a kind of depression. Stopped praying. I think we need to believe in something greater than ourselves. Otherwise we think we solve all problems with intellect.
You will notice that I tend to defend religion and Christianity, and criticise it at the same time. I feel like a divided self mentally ill.
[emphasis added]

I was at your stage years ago. I remember posting on Youtube and other forums that it was possible to have conflicting or even contradictory beliefs and thoughts towards Christianity and anything else. The problem of evil was my stumbling block but religious experience (or perhaps just wanting to experience a transcendent power) was still on my mind. I finally decided to call myself agnostic. Now my agnosticism is mostly focused on searching for answers while avoiding the mistakes that many believers and non-believers tend to make.

You won't find me advocating for religion or non-religion though (I leave that for the individual to decide), but I do advocate for open-mindedness and not committing to any view or party that is not supported by reason and evidence.

Hopefully, you will find some of your answers here or at least some examples of good thinking (I'm sure you'll contribute).

Pretty much all of them. I've looked at about 5 of them. The first one I read about st. Paul sowed the seed. Saying the scriptures were written so long after Jesus death.
Thanks for those references. I'll definitely check her out, especially some of her works on interfaith topics.

Last edited:
Hence agnosticism. It's potentially the most humble view. Certainly the least dogmatic.
Being honest with myself, I don't know if Jesus is God. I hope he is I guess.
But then part of me thinks those who choose a faith like Christianity, are the most courageous. Putting all their money on one horse. No half heartedness.
Is being agnostic the cowards choice? I hope not. At the moment anyway .

Reactions: bbyrd009