One member expressed the view that Adam and Eve story was not meant to be taken literal. I thought that would serve as a good topic by itself so lets discuss that here.

Is the Adam and Eve story meant to be literal or fiction?

Is the Adam and Eve story meant to be literal or fiction?
I believe that some ancient history is a product of myth and history being intertwined. That's what I see in the story of Adam and Eve.

The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man.
Source: https://www.catholic.com/tract/adam-eve-and-evolution

The most convincing piece of evidence is seeing how the people in the Bible interpreted Genesis. For starters Adam is mentioned in genealogies, like in 1 Chronicles 1:1 and Luke 3:38. Also, Adam is mentioned in the same light as other historical figures, like Moses (e.g. in Romans 5:14).

In addition to my above points, I think that some tend to say that the story is not literal because of all of the supernatural elements involved. And perhaps they might use the non-literal card to hide behind the fact that the Creation story conflicts with scientific findings. In this way, anything that conflicts with scientific findings can be explained as being non-literal.

Reactions: bbyrd009
I believe that some ancient history is a product of myth and history being intertwined. That's what I see in the story of Adam and Eve.

Source: https://www.catholic.com/tract/adam-eve-and-evolution

The most convincing piece of evidence is seeing how the people in the Bible interpreted Genesis. For starters Adam is mentioned in genealogies, like in 1 Chronicles 1:1 and Luke 3:38. Also, Adam is mentioned in the same light as other historical figures, like Moses (e.g. in Romans 5:14).

In addition to my above points, I think that some tend to say that the story is not literal because of all of the supernatural elements involved. And perhaps they might use the non-literal card to hide behind the fact that the Creation story conflicts with scientific findings. In this way, anything that conflicts with scientific findings can be explained as being non-literal.
i might be in that last group now, dunno
Adamu is Akkadian (ancient Babylonian) for man (if i recall correctly)
and there are a couple other hints in the Bible that just eventually prompted me to perceive “Adam and Eve” on a different level
the genealogies can also be read allegorically, below, and we know they didnt write stuff down then, so its not like there were eyewitnesses

🔼The name Adam: Summary​

MeaningRed, One From The Soil, BeginningEtymologyFrom the root דמם (dmm), to begin, to produce

🔼The name Seth: Summary​

MeaningSet, Appointed, FoundationEtymologyFrom the verb שית (shyt), to set or place firm

🔼The name Enosh: Summary​

MeaningMan, Weak But Social IndividualEtymologyFrom the noun אנוש ('enosh), man, from the verb אנש ('anash), to be weak and social

and ive let it get away from me now, but i had a thing that explained how seth and enosh were likely from egyptian and persian mythology, like adam was from babylonian (and half of the decalogue was from Hammurabi, king of babylon, apparently; a recurring them in the Bible, lifting the highlights from earlier mythologies, which is carried into the NT, And the virgin (Athena) will be with child, Apollos waters, etc)

also you say “literal or fiction,” but mythology was how important social truths were carried forward to the next generation then, so not really “fiction” or “myth” as we understand those now

i might be in that last group now, dunno
Adamu is Akkadian (ancient Babylonian) for man (if i recall correctly)
and there are a couple other hints in the Bible that just eventually prompted me to perceive “Adam and Eve” on a different level
the genealogies can also be read allegorically, below, and we know they didnt write stuff down then, so its not like there were eyewitnesses

🔼The name Adam: Summary​

MeaningRed, One From The Soil, BeginningEtymologyFrom the root דמם (dmm), to begin, to produce

🔼The name Seth: Summary​

MeaningSet, Appointed, FoundationEtymologyFrom the verb שית (shyt), to set or place firm

🔼The name Enosh: Summary​

MeaningMan, Weak But Social IndividualEtymologyFrom the noun אנוש ('enosh), man, from the verb אנש ('anash), to be weak and social

and ive let it get away from me now, but i had a thing that explained how seth and enosh were likely from egyptian and persian mythology, like adam was from babylonian (and half of the decalogue was from Hammurabi, king of babylon, apparently; a recurring them in the Bible, lifting the highlights from earlier mythologies, which is carried into the NT, And the virgin (Athena) will be with child, Apollos waters, etc)

also you say “literal or fiction,” but mythology was how important social truths were carried forward to the next generation then, so not really “fiction” or “myth” as we understand those now

Good points. I think almost all names in the Bible had a meaning in Hebrew, everyone from God to Moses. I know it can some times be a challenge trying to determine if something was meant to be taken allegorically or literally but in this case I lean towards a Adam being a literal person or based on one. I can't dispute that myth and legends may've been added later on but I wonder if that's the case for all ancient writings.

Reactions: bbyrd009
Good points. I think almost all names in the Bible had a meaning in Hebrew, everyone from God to Moses. I know it can some times be a challenge trying to determine if something was meant to be taken allegorically or literally but in this case I lean towards a Adam being a literal person or based on one. I can't dispute that myth and legends may've been added later on but I wonder if that's the case for all ancient writings.
well, he might very well have been literal, idk
i doubt that we are all supposed to extract the same thing anyway tbh