On another thread, a member brought up two conspiracy theories regarding the Rothschilds being involved in the murders of several US presidents. I don't see the US government acknowledging this. But for those that don't believe the official narrative, the Rothchild explanation may be an alternative view to accept.

Well in this thread, I don't want to focus on that specific conspiracy theory, but rather I want to focus on conspiracy theories in general. I tend to be skeptical of conspiracy theories not only because they go against the "official" narrative that the leaders put out, but also it just seems like a lot of loose connections being made between different pieces of information. However, I can't rule out that it's impossible for governments and other leaders to lie about things, and for conspiracy theories to be true, at times. Perhaps if they US government did come across a downed and intact UFO, there are some good believable reasons for why they would cover it up.

For debate:
1. What's your view on conspiracy theories? Are they inherently false?
2. What, if any, factors would make a conspiracy theory true or worth considering?

Last edited:
I tend to be skeptical of conspiracy theories not only because they go against the "official" narrative that the leaders put out, but also it just seems like a lot of loose connections being made between different pieces of information.

The leaders put out? Seriously? You believe anything they say? The "official" narrative is always highly suspect. If there is no "official narrative" then it's likely because there isn't anything to cover up or even more likely, for the real "leaders" to benefit. If there is an "official" narrative it is most likely designed for deception and control.

However, I can't rule out that it's impossible for governments and other leaders to lie about things, and for conspiracy theories to be true, at times. Perhaps if they US government did come across a downed and intact UFO, there are some good believable reasons for why they would cover it up.

Are you more likely to accept a "conspiracy theory" if it supports some point of interest you find attractive in some way?

For debate:
1. What's your view on conspiracy theories? Are they inherently false?

To me the very definition of conspiracy is a description of exactly how the world works. Though I have to take into account that conspiracy theorists, like religionists, tend to exaggerate their examination in order to make a case. It's difficult to keep an objective perspective, but it is crucial if you want the unbiased truth.

2. What, if any, factors would make a conspiracy theory true or worth considering?

Well, facts. 911, the Holocaust as it is presented, the Covid "Plandemic" for example. People get emotionally, politically or ideologically attached to those issues making it difficult to examine objectively. In fact, seemingly designed to prevent examination. Everyone thinks "conspiracy theories" are "crazy." Most people don't want to be labeled crazy.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Are you more likely to accept a "conspiracy theory" if it supports some point of interest you find attractive in some way?
I'm not, but I believe that a lot of others would accept it based on that.
Though I have to take into account that conspiracy theorists, like religionists, tend to exaggerate their examination in order to make a case. It's difficult to keep an objective perspective, but it is crucial if you want the unbiased truth.
Agreed.

Conspiracy theories may seem crazy to a lot of people but I wouldn't dismiss them out right. I I would start to question them depending on the type of thinking behind it, like if it involves a lot of over-generalizations, a lot of assumptions, etc. But like you, whatever explanation, conspiracy theory or not, it all boils down to evidence or facts.

Watch how former Gov. Jesse Ventura is treated by Fox News hosts when he brought up 9/11 terrorist attack being a conspiracy:

Would you have handled his claims differently?

Conspiracy theories may seem crazy to a lot of people but I wouldn't dismiss them out right. I I would start to question them depending on the type of thinking behind it, like if it involves a lot of over-generalizations, a lot of assumptions, etc. But like you, whatever explanation, conspiracy theory or not, it all boils down to evidence or facts.

I don't think anything ever really boils down to evidence or facts. Or, more accurately, I don't think people really understand what those mean. They overestimate their application. If you do just a little research on those things themselves you will see they only mean what we generally believe. If you research any subject without any preconceived notions of "evidence and facts" you will discover that subject, no matter if it's epidemiology or theology or anything else outside of basic math, the "evidence and facts" are always distorted and amount to little more than belief.

Last edited:
Watch how former Gov. Jesse Ventura is treated by Fox News hosts when he brought up 9/11 terrorist attack being a conspiracy: Would you have handled his claims differently?

Jesse and his opponent in the video are both passionate. When in situations like that I TRY not to let that get the best of me by reminding myself that we are equal. But when you are opposed to groupthink or ideology instead of the person you are dealing with it's impossible really. And pointless. There are two sides to every issue, and if you have everyone either agreeing or disagreeing you lose independent thinking. You have to dismiss both sides and take your position on the fence in order to see what really is going on, and it is very rarely "truth, evidence and fact." I don't care if you have God, science, or the scholarly consensus allegedly on the field, objection on both sides is lost from the perspective on the fence looking down at either side.

The expression live by the sword and die by the sword applies to both sides, even in an intellectual or academic battle. Best to just walk away because no matter how passionate you are it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things.

Like most other things, logic and evidence would be needed to know that a conspiracy theory is true.

But I think there is a reason why conspiracy theories seem to be on the rise, and that's because the government is becoming harder and harder to trust. There seems to be more politics going on, more corruption, more polarization, and all of that creates trust issues with the government. However, I caution going to the other extreme which is believing that everything is a conspiracy theory by the government. I'm open to any individual matter being a conspiracy, but I would start to question a person that thought that everything was a conspiracy.