I was watching an old episode of a show called Cheaters that involves partners/spouses getting caught cheating. One thing I noticed is that the guilty party tends to blame the cheating on relationship problems. I believe that relationship problems can drive someone find comfort and satisfaction elsewhere. Now I'm not saying that it's right or that other things can't be done other than cheating. But I do think that cheating can also happen even if there isn't any relationship problems. That's what I want to explore here.

I think one situation that can lead someone to cheat in this scenario (i.e. having a pre-existing good relationship) is when they get too close to someone that they are already attracted to. Let's face it, even if you're in a relationship, that doesn't mean that the things that turn you on automatically get turned off. It's very possible to find others attractive even if you're married. All it takes is one person to do the same things that you would do to start a romantic or sexual relationship, and sooner or later, you'll find yourself with that person (if you allow it to go that far) just as you are or were with your pre-existing partner. So then, the one unique thing about a relationship is that we choose to commit to one person; we choose to limit our sexual/romantic behaviors to our partner.

For debate:
1. Is it possible for people to cheat even if they already have a good relationship?
2. If so, then what are some reasons why someone would cheat under those circumstances? Is the reason I provided regarding being able to be attracted to multtple partners and acting on it, a valid reason?

Last edited: