Most of you may be aware that the Supreme Court may be looking to overturn Roe v. Wade according to a leaked draft opinion. According to president Biden, if that succeeds, then same-sex marriage will be next.

"It's not just the brutality of taking away a woman's right to her body ... but it also, if you read the opinion ... basically says there's no such thing as the right to privacy. If that holds ... mark my words: They are going to go after the Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage," said Biden, speaking at a Democratic National Committee fundraiser in Chicago, according to pool reports.
- CNN

For Debate:
Is president Biden correct? Will overturning Roe v. Wade also open the door to overturning the Constitutional protections for same-sex marriage?

Here's a brief recap on same-sex marriage ruling...
In June 2015, the Supreme Court ruled in the landmark civil rights case of Obergefell v. Hodges that the fundamental right of same-sex couples to marry on the same terms and conditions as opposite-sex couples, with all the accompanying rights and responsibilities, is guaranteed by both the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
Source: Wikipedia

Is president Biden correct? Will overturning Roe v. Wade also open the door to overturning the Constitutional protections for same-sex marriage?
While some Republicans might try to accuse the president of trying to influence public opinion as well as SCOTUS itself, I actually see some benefit to everyone being given a chance to speak out. While it is good for the Supreme Court justices to be weighing only legal points that they consider amongst themselves or individually, but I also don't see any harm in SCOTUS considering points from the public, the Democrats, or anyone else. That doesn't have to be taken as pressuring the justices since only the Justices can allow someone to pressure them since the decision rests in their hands ultimately. They can listen to all points, while still making a decision with legality in mind.

Also, I don't agree with Biden's position. Even if abortion is overturned at the Federal level, that doesn't mean that it can't be found constitutional for a different reason than what was argued in Roe v. Wade. Just as the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg brought up, abortion can be argued for on the basis of "equality" instead of trying to ground it on privacy.

I'm sorry, but Biden has NO basis for this fearmongering. I pray for that poor man.

Reactions: Chapabel