Anyone that has chatted with me online knows that my agnosticism is not just a position on religion, but I also carry it into any area where I can apply my intellect. And that includes politics. With that said, I want to know how do political agnostics (or even Independents) vote in elections. I would think that their thought process in voting is drastically different than staunch Republicans and Democrats. Whereas, Dems and Repubs tend to see issues as black-and-white, agnostics and Independents may not see it as much and this would translate into their voting. Perhaps agnostics end up taking more time to vote, or we are the large groups of undecideds or swing voters, or we even vote for candidates from both parties or don't even look at party. I dunno :rolleyes:... just theorizing here.

If you consider yourself an agnostic thinker or an Independent even on political issues, then please share how do you usually vote given our polarized environment.

What do you look for in a candidate or in a party? What's your thinking process?

How do you handle others telling you who to vote for?

Last edited:
What do you look for in a candidate or in a party? What's your thinking process?
Here are some of my thinking and principles when deciding on who to vote for:
1. I don't want one party rule because they are less likely to keep the extremist views on their side in check.
2. I focus on policy and not political labels or party.
3. I'm attracted to candidates that are willing to stand up to the extreme side of their wing, like when Mitt Romney is willing to stand up to Trump. Although, i like diversity and appreciate Tim Scott running for president, but is he willing to stand up to the extremes in his party?
4. I like candidates that have a non-divisive message like candidate president Obama did. ALthough, I'd also want them to express that in their political actions by being willing to respect the other side and work across party lines.

I'll add more if I can think of anything else. But basically, most of what I look for is the opposite of what drove me away from both parties. I want a government that is bipartisan (or even where multiple parties involved). I don't want a divisive politician, although if that isn't an option, as is increasingly the case nowadays, then I also go strictly based on policy.

How do you handle others telling you who to vote for?
Just as they are bold to tell you who to vote for, you have to also be bold and tell them that you're willing to vote for any party. Doing that could help set the tone of the convo so that people know what to expect. Also, when I see the person is focusing too much on party, which is often the case, I try to bring the focus to policy.

Last edited: