One of my goals is to create an organization for agnostics and others who lean independent (politically) or moderate. I know there are already organizations that include agnostics but I don't get the sense that those really give agnostics a voice. It's probably drowned out by atheists and other secularists. Ideally, I'd like an organization that really emphasizes the Agnostic standard that Thomas Huxley advocated for, something that incorporates the themes of this forum.

I've found this out so far:
There are many types of nonprofit organizations. These nonprofits are usually tax-exempt because they work toward the public interest. All assets and income from the nonprofit are reinvested into the organization or donated. Depending on the nonprofit’s membership, mission, and structure, different classifications will apply.

Social advocacy groups are classified under 501(c)(4). Social advocacy groups lobby or promote some sort of social or political effort. Funds typically come from donations or membership dues. Examples of social advocacy groups include Greenpeace, NAACP, ACLU, and the National Organization for Women. They also engage in fundraising, lobbying, and efforts to educate the general public about their cause.
Source: https://www.upcounsel.com/types-of-nonprofits

Anyone have any experience or know about the process for forming an organization?

A checklist of things:
1. Lay out the vision, goals, and objectives
2. Build up membership
3. ???

What else do you think is needed? (Besides lots of money ) We can start a separate thread for each item on the list.

Btw.. I'm just thinking way in advance for the long term. It's just that when I'm really ready (hopefully in 1 or 2 years, I'm open to sooner), I already want to have some good planning done, so that we can start up quickly and already knowing what to do. I know this is necessary because agnostics have a lot to offer and we should to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
, I'd like an organization that really emphasizes the Agnostic standard that Thomas Huxley advocated for, something that incorporates the themes of this forum.
I wish you all the best.

In fact, I wish you a cable channel that respectfully covers different religions. And makes a ton of money in which your only problem is how to hire a good CPA! :)

In the meantime, groups that meet the same day each month [such as the second Tuesday, for example], well, this seems to help with getting some traction going.

* I think you can keep things casual until you hire your first employee

Last edited:
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
I wish you all the best.

In fact, I wish you a cable channel that respectfully covers different religions. And makes a ton of money in which your only problem is how to hire a good CPA! :)

In the meantime, groups that meet the same day each month [such as the second Tuesday, for example], well, this seems to help with getting some traction going.

* I think you can keep things casual until you hire your first employee
Thanks for the positivity. I'll need all I can get. Luckily one of my family members is an accountant.

I remember the early days of the call-in show, The Atheist experience w/ host Matt Dillahunty. I'm inspired by how it started:
In April 1996, a woman named Kellen Von Houser took the initiative of forming a group for atheists in the Austin area by e-mailing local atheists.[3] After several informal monthly gatherings, the Atheist Community of Austin was formally founded on December 15, 1996, by which time it had attracted around 60 members.[3] By June 1997, the ACA had its own website, a relatively new medium at the time, to reach out to fellow atheists on the internet.[3] The first episode of The Atheist Experience, a pre-recorded pilot, aired on October 19, 1997.[3][4]

From the second show onward, the episodes were broadcast live on cable access television on every other Sunday, giving the opportunity to viewers to call the show live. Initially the show's length was one half-hour.[5] Ray Blevins was the show's first host, while Joe Zamecki served as the first co-host.[5]
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atheist_Experience

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
The Atheist experience w/ host Matt Dillahunty.
The show has it’s moments.

For example, at one point Matt said, “Can we please get a theist WHO’S NOT HIGH to call in.”

But . . .

They move theists to the front of the line.

And the whole point of the show seems to be Matt arguing with the callers in the style of smackdown wrestling.

Or, if you’re familiar with the show “Bar Rescue” with Jon Taffer, the whole point of that show seems to be these big confrontations between Jon and the owner, or between Jon and various employees.

Well, too much of “The Atheist Experience” seems to be that way, too.

“Dave Warnock was caught up in the Jesus movement of the 70s and lived the bulk of his life as a Charismatic Evangelical, serving as a pastor on three different church staffs.

“Following several years of internal struggle, Dave came to the conclusion in 2011 that he no longer believed in a personal God. In 2019 he was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), a progressive neurodegenerative disease with an average 3-5 year life expectancy. . . ”

===========

Yeah, I kind of prefer ol’ Dave, who also has a YouTube channel.