Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

“ . . or the cosmological constant–which measures how fast the universe is expanding–that dictate how the universe took shape. Physicists have pondered why these values are what they are for at least a century and tried to find scientific answers to this question for decades. . ”

“ . . For others, the idea of a ‘multiverse,’ made possible by string theory, became a popular way to explain this dilemma—if there are infinitely many universes, it shouldn’t be too surprising that one ended up with the right conditions for life, the reasoning goes. String theory is highly speculative, however, and some scientists deem the multiverse unscientific because they don’t see a way to test whether it exists. . “

“ . . Theologians and even some scientists have used the fine-tuning argument to suggest that the universe must have been created for life to form. . ”

“ . . recent evidence shows that changing multiple constants together might be more likely to make a working universe, giving the changes a chance to even out against other tweaks, the report says [report from Foundational Questions Institute]. . ”

“ . . Other experiments have hinted that the universal constant related to the expansion of the universe might have changed over time—which means it wouldn’t really be constant at all. . “
It is a mystery.

But I don’t think it means something as specific as the Christian God, the Hindu God(s), the Muslim God, or the Baha’i God.

It is a mystery.

But I don’t think it means something as specific as the Christian God, the Hindu God(s), the Muslim God, or the Baha’i God.
Yes, as I see it, the Universe is only currently fine-tuned for life. The Universe has existed for 13 billion years, but life has only come into the picture only 4 billion years ago. That means the Universe was lifeless for about 10 billion years.

I see room for a god but it's definitely on a smaller scale than the ones that religions bring up. To me, god is just a highly advanced being, capable of flaws. The world religions might give us an aggrandized version.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
I see room for a god but it's definitely on a smaller scale than the ones that religions bring up. To me, god is just a highly advanced being, capable of flaws. The world religions might give us an aggrandized version.
I like this. Kind of like the Greek Gods, who were human, all too human.

If we humans eventually go cyborg, well, some of us might use a decentralized approach to the actual computing hardware, some of the computing in a mechanical bird, some in a mechanical bear, etc. I’d know the experience of being a bear on a beautiful Alaskan spring day.

But anyway, the advantage of the decentralized approach is that then an accident or disaster is less likely to kill me. It simply damages a little of my computing which I can easily rebuild. My odds for a very long life are significantly improved.

And let’s say I’m visiting a planet for genuine uplift, because humanitarian works adds richness and flavor to my own life. [and heck no, it’s not always well-received, which adds reality and texture to the challenge]

As I talk, seemingly just from empty space, a hunter-and-gathering type person might ask, “Father, where are you?”

I might then laugh gently and say, “Oh, Daughter [or Son], I am everywhere and nowhere.”

=================

I’m personally highly unlikely to live this long.

But future generations of humans might really do so! :cool: 🐦 🐻

Last edited: