Here is 'cancel culture' defined (Wikipedia):
Cancel culture or call-out culture is a blanket term used to refer to a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person.[1] Those subject to this ostracism are said to have been "cancelled".

I'm sure most Americans have heard of cancel culture, but I'm not sure if its prevalence in other countries. I have a mostly negative impression of it because I've seen friends cancel other friends over differing political views. So let's explore this topic.

For Debate...
1. What's your view on cancel culture?
2. When is cancel culture or boycotting acceptable? When is it not?

Last edited:
1. What's your view on cancel culture?

In general, I don't think anyone should be cancelled or boycotted because of a view unless that view leads to physical harm. However, bringing this up to others, it seems that even physical harm is debatable. And it has to be a clear cut case of harm, one that many individuals from different sides would agree on. I emphasis this condition because often what someone considers a view leading to physical harm is often debatable, especially when politics is involved. For instance, someone might say that supporting a policy to allow teachers to carry guns leads to physical harm. But a proponent of that policy would say it increases security and is only intended for a school shooter. I would not cancel either person because that is not a clear cut case - it's debatable.

Last edited:
2. When is cancel culture or boycotting acceptable? When is it not?
To borrow from one of Jesus's teaching regarding a divided house (Matthew 12:25)..

If we need to work together, even if not in all cases but at some point, then it doesn't help to do things that causes division or separation such as cancelling someone. That would only harm relations. I apply this same principle to my thinking on cancel culture.

A good number of Americans are Republicans and a good number are Democrats. We both need to get along to get things done. If each party starts to "cancel" each other, then that will obviously cause harm. Even if we succeed in getting rid of all Republicans or Democrats then we'll just differ about something else and not learning the lesson, we'll repeat the same mistake.

Last edited: