I wanted to clarify the criteria for joining the Agnostic Perspective section which will involve expanding the members allowed to join. I mentioned a criteria that involves not identifying with atheism nor theism AND adhering to Huxley's brand of agnosticism.

I will now allow atheists and theists to join the section because they could fit under Huxley's brand of agnosticism just as long as they are 'freethinkers'. Freethinking sums up much of what Thomas Huxley advocated for. The word 'freethinker' is hyperlinked in that guidelines section for that forum. It leads to the following definition:
A standard dictionary defines a freethinker as “one that forms opinions on the basis of reason independently of authority; especially one who doubts or denies religious dogma.” What this means is that to be a freethinker, a person has to be willing to consider any idea and any possibility. The standard for deciding the truth-value of claims is not tradition, dogma, or authorities — instead, it must be reason and logic.
Source: Cline, Austin. "Atheism vs. Freethought." Learn Religions, Feb. 16, 2021, learnreligions.com/atheism-vs-freethought-248403.

This all means that agnostics who don't identify with atheism and theism can join AND freethinking atheists and theists can join. This may seem contradictory or even counterproductive to getting the Agnostic's point of view. However, it isn't because my goal all along has been to get the unique perspective of those who aren't committed to religious dogma and other unproven atheistic ideologies. That standard is part of Huxley's brand of agnosticism. So I'll allow theists and atheists to join since it is very possible for them to be freethinkers if they don't commit to religious dogma and other unproven atheistic ideologies. Agnostic Christians can not join because of their commitment to unproven beliefs. Agnostic atheists can't join unless they also identify with being a freethinker.

Again, this only applies to the Agnostic Perspective section of the forum. Everyone else (Christians, atheists, skeptics, etc.) can participate in our Debate section as well as the Discussion section of the forum.

Last edited: