For popular or very good threads
One strength your view has is that it doesn't limit consciousness to a brain. In my view, that is far superior than the traditional materialist viewpoint. It may not be more provable than the traditional materialist view, but just on strategy it stands out because you are not limiting yourself to the brain. When all of the evidence of consciousness beyond brain comes knocking on the door of materialism, your theory will be able to handle it better!

Reactions: William
One strength your view has is that it doesn't limit consciousness to a brain. In my view, that is far superior than the traditional materialist viewpoint. It may not be more provable than the traditional materialist view, but just on strategy it stands out because you are not limiting yourself to the brain. When all of the evidence of consciousness beyond brain comes knocking on the door of materialism, your theory will be able to handle it better!
yes - limiting consciousness to the human brain has many drawbacks re explanations - such as why people reporting near-death (and other alternate experiences) have very similar things to say. If brains are that individual, why do consciousnesses experience such similar events?

The explanation brains are powerful enough not only to create consciousness but to create alternative experiences consciousnesses can have, means that one can argue that brains are thus powerful enough to create our non-alternative reality which means that we are left wondering what exactly "brains" really are - not the fatty organs inside skulls - because "brains" which create reality can also create ways of hiding themselves from our awareness behind things it creates in order to do so.

Essentially the idea that brains create anything speaks of a mindfulness which purposefully tricks the consciousness it created into believing it is the creation of something way more powerful and creative than consciousness itself.

Moreover, the actual 'tricking' is done by individual consciousnesses against other individual consciousnesses, be these believers in supernaturalism or materialism.

• Exceptional post!
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
yes - limiting consciousness to the human brain has many drawbacks re explanations - such as why people reporting near-death (and other alternate experiences) have very similar things to say. If brains are that individual, why do consciousnesses experience such similar events?

The explanation brains are powerful enough not only to create consciousness but to create alternative experiences consciousnesses can have, means that one can argue that brains are thus powerful enough to create our non-alternative reality which means that we are left wondering what exactly "brains" really are - not the fatty organs inside skulls - because "brains" which create reality can also create ways of hiding themselves from our awareness behind things it creates in order to do so.

Essentially the idea that brains create anything speaks of a mindfulness which purposefully tricks the consciousness it created into believing it is the creation of something way more powerful and creative than consciousness itself.

Moreover, the actual 'tricking' is done by individual consciousnesses against other individual consciousnesses, be these believers in supernaturalism or materialism.
I couldn't agree more. I was hoping to see more details on the weaknesses of materialism that prompted you to create an alternative view. ALthough, I've read your views against traditional materialism on other forums.

When it comes to materialism, you almost get the sense that the brain is being used part of some materialism of the gap explanation. And just so the reader knows, I'm not just critiquing materialism, but we've also gone over the weaknesses of supernaturalism.

Reactions: William
You owe the forum an article, William. I think your Natural PHilosophy piece here would make a good one!

I already added your name to be able to post one article in that section, whenever you're ready.