I believe that politics has become the new religion because people are treating political issues as if they are a matter of life or death. I've attributed that to politicians selling the issues to us as if they are a matter of life and death, and if you don't follow a particular side (w/ each politician thinking it has to be their side), then democracy and nation are in serious trouble.

But I think most would say that we should want people to take politics seriously. We should want everyone to be engaged in politics and vote. And based on this, I think some would say that politics is finally getting the engagement that it deserves. I can agree that we should want for everyone to be informed and engaged in politics, but I question at what costs? So I'll offer this up for debate.

For Debate:
1. Is politics being taken too seriously nowadays? Is that a good or bad thing?
2. Why is politics being taken seriously? Is it because politicians have gotten better at galvanizing people? Or is it just people are paying more attention regardless of politicians, perhaps realizing that politics is important to life?

I believe that politics has become the new religion because people are treating political issues as if they are a matter of life or death. I've attributed that to politicians selling the issues to us as if they are a matter of life and death, and if you don't follow a particular side (w/ each politician thinking it has to be their side), then democracy and nation are in serious trouble.

But I think most would say that we should want people to take politics seriously. We should want everyone to be engaged in politics and vote. And based on this, I think some would say that politics is finally getting the engagement that it deserves. I can agree that we should want for everyone to be informed and engaged in politics, but I question at what costs? So I'll offer this up for debate.

For Debate:
1. Is politics being taken too seriously nowadays? Is that a good or bad thing?
2. Why is politics being taken seriously? Is it because politicians have gotten better at galvanizing people? Or is it just people are paying more attention regardless of politicians, perhaps realizing that politics is important to life?
religion and politics have always struck me as the two sides of a manipulated fiat coin, that i wonder if some unmanipulatable fiat such as btc might basically dissolve. It strikes me that btc is truly democratic, whereas religion and politics are both basically just dividers? Imo when you have manipulated fiat, some group has the advantage, hence the religion/politics. Which is not my orig idea btw.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Is politics being taken too seriously nowadays? Is that a good or bad thing?
I believe politics should be taken seriously, but nowadays it tends to be taken as such for the wrong reasons. I believe that Americans should take politics seriously by voting in all elections, informing themselves on the issues, keeping up with current events, etc. When it comes to the wrong reasons to take politics seriously, that would involve treating political matters as if they are some black-and-white issue or like some absolute truth that can't be disagreed with. That's how many religious people tend to treat their religion in relation to the world. And if you go against them they shun you, won't allow you to question their view, etc. Barring matters of imminent harm, and something that is provable, no political (and even religious views) should be taken to that degree.

So with me, I don't say that politics shouldn't be taken seriously, but we have to be critical on the ways that we take it seriously. I don't think we should act like religious zealots or extremists.