According to various media sources, the recall election for California is official (source). Caitlyn Jenner, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, family of the Kardashians, announced that she would run for governor. What caught my eye the most is not that Caitlyn is transgender, but rather it is her message about partisan politics, like "one party rule", and how "politics is placed above progress". Here's Caitlyn's entire statement:

According to one of Caitlyn's campaign advisors, she will run as a candidate that is "socially liberal and fiscally conservative" (source). Many news sources say that she is a registered Republican and will run as such. So far, reactions to her candidacy has been less than accepting. Many of her critics say that she should not run because she has no experience in government. So let's discuss this!

For Debate:
1. Is Caitlyn Jenner's candidacy a good thing for politics?
2. Is her lack of experience a valid reason for her to stay out of being the Governor's race?

Last edited:
For Debate:
1. Is Caitlyn Jenner's candidacy a good thing for politics?
I believe it is a good thing for politics for two reasons, one is that she puts a dent in identity politics and she's also an ordinary person (well she's outside of the government establishment). I'll explain the latter factor further when answering the 2nd debate question. But as to the issue of identity politics, this creates a big dent because Democrats assume that most in the LGBTQ crowd will be on their side, just as they expect most African Americans to be. But if both parties start having a good amount of minorities and LGBT population, then the impact of identity politics goes away. Race, gender, and sexual orientation can't be used as much to divide people.

2. Is her lack of experience a valid reason for her to stay out of being the Governor's race?
I'm against people having a lack of experience running government but then again it can possibly work and there are some examples. One way is that you set the agenda while having experienced people work for you who can carry it out. It's more like managing rather than just leading. Isn't this what Trump did? Did Trump, who lacked experience in government, do all of the work and thinking when it came to national security, the economy, etc? I would think not. I'd think he managed others to do a lot of the work for him.

Ideally, I think we need to broaden the type of people who run for office. Far too long, we see the candidates are oftentimes rich and/or well connected with those in political office. We need to make it so that anyone has the opportunity to run, and then we can say that's a truly "free and fair election".

Last edited: