TracyRN

Catholic
Oct 25, 2020
Florida
forums.catholic.com
Worldview

Catholic

I would like to hear from ex-Christians who are now agnostic. Why are you agnostic instead of atheist?

Does any part of your Christian background play a part in you not choosing atheism?

Thank you.

I would like to hear from ex-Christians who are now agnostic. Why are you agnostic instead of atheist?
I converted to agnosticism instead of atheism because I didn't view atheism as being fair-minded position. While many of atheists contributed to my seeing the flaws in Christianity, but a lot of them were also dogmatic in some of the common views that they tend to share, like on materialism, etc. I figured, if I'm going to leave Christianity because I saw it as being unreasonable, then I'd better leave it for something that's more reasonable and fair, and I found that in agnosticism.

Does any part of your Christian background play a part in you not choosing atheism?
Nope. I don't view atheism as being immoral. To me it's just a matter of evidence and reason and making a decision based on that. I'm open to returning to Christianity or any other religion. I believe Christianity is lacking so much evidence that it is impractical to live out. Like how do you know that a prayer was really answered instead of my interpreting some event as counting towards an answered prayer? Too many uncertainties like these. Even if these things could never be proven by science, but they should at least be a better way to know about God rather than just going by faith and vague descriptions or occurrences that we attribute to God.

Last edited:
Reactions: notsuretobehonest

Thank you.
Good question. I would like to hear your answer first.

I can’t say that I am entirely a “former” Christian. I doubt the veracity of much of the New Testament as it exists today in its adulterated form to an extent that there is likely no place for me to go to within reason. I think, however, that there may be some grains of unadulterated importance left; it’s just a matter of finding them.

But my intellectual decoupling from dogma started after reading the Book of Jubilees and wanting to understand the history behind it because it is filled with horrific religiously motivated brutality of the sort seen in the region in modern times, and stumbling on works of Bart Erhman and others in the process of reviewing the history of Judaism from more objective sources. It took many months of study to understand how little adherents understand about their own written word or how much weight any particular story in the writings deserves. As far as I have come on my journey, I can say that I am not willing to flush it all down the crapper, but rather leave it as a mystery of unknown value.

Welcome to the forum, BCE!!

Not to get this thread too far off topic, but I actually read the Book of Jubilees years ago. You're the only other person that I've met (outside of a few scholars, of course) that knows about it. Lol.

Last edited:

Thank you.

I guess you could loosely describe me as an ex-Christian. While I prefer to identify as an agnostic I will also cop to being an atheist with an appropriate clarification of terms. Does my experience as a former Christian contribute to that preference? I don't think so.

It is probably more apt to describe me as a former atheist who now prefers the agnostic descriptor. The reasons for that are many but I'll save that for another thread.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Today I felt so good in mind, heart, body and soul! It was hard not to believe in God.
If God caused my feelgood day, thank you God. I'm prepared to admit He may very well exist. It's highly possible. It's unhighly impossible.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy