I'm skeptical that the weak atheist position could be maintained if or when the weak atheist starts to argue for a position, unless it is a neutral position. As soon as the weak atheist makes an argument for or against God, then wouldn't they believe that argument, or wouldn't that argument serve as logic and/or evidence towards God's existence? In other words, they would have beliefs and even evidence for it, and that gets into the strong (or even gnostic) atheist territory.

It doesn't even have to be an argument directly related to God, but it can include him through implication. For instance, if an atheist is against the supernatural or endorses metaphysical naturalism, then they don't accept that God exists because God concepts are incompatible with naturalism.

When is the last time you've seen a weak atheist argue for a neutral position? In my experience, all or most have endorsed materialism. Furthermore, have you seen any weak atheists arguing against strong atheist points? If a weak atheist has no problem with the strong atheist arguments/views, then why doesn't he accept the strong atheist label/position?

Should weak atheists have only neutral views or positions on God's existence?

Last edited:
Should weak atheists have only neutral views or positions on God's existence?

What, may I ask, is a 'weak atheist?' Maybe you are referring to those who, when in college, claimed to be atheist as an act of rebellion against the Establishment or a faddish thing to do, then later returned to their original fold. They are not Athiests but are confused children who unable to debate their position with any confidence.

What, may I ask, is a 'weak atheist?' Maybe you are referring to those who, when in college, claimed to be atheist as an act of rebellion against the Establishment or a faddish thing to do, then later returned to their original fold. They are not Athiests but are confused children who unable to debate their position with any confidence.
You might have heard it referred to as negative atheism.

Negative atheism, also called weak atheism and soft atheism, is any type of atheism where a person does not believe in the existence of any deities but does not necessarily explicitly assert that there are none.
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neg..., also called weak,assert that there are none.

Golly ... I guess that makes me one.
Here's a funny observation....You might be a 'weak' atheists towards 100% of the God's, while many Christians are strong atheists towards 99.9% of all gods (they reject all non Christian gods).

Here's a funny observation....You might be a 'weak' atheists towards 100% of the God's, while many Christians are strong atheists towards 99.9% of all gods (they reject all non Christian gods).

While that is absolutely true of most Christians it isn't biblically supported. The Bible calls Moses, the judges of Israel, angels (of which there are myriads) including Satan gods. It also calls Jesus a mighty god, not God almighty. Jehovah and Jesus, the Father and Son, are not the same.

• Insightful
Reactions: AgnosticBoy
While that is absolutely true of most Christians it isn't biblically supported. The Bible calls Moses, the judges of Israel, angels (of which there are myriads) including Satan gods. It also calls Jesus a mighty god, not God almighty. Jehovah and Jesus, the Father and Son, are not the same.
Interesting:unsure:. Forgot about the Trinity, but you don't take that to still mean one God? Just to be sure, are you also suggesting that there are other gods besides the Trinity? Would that also include some of the gods of other religions, or is it just Satan and other angels?

Reactions: Data
Interesting:unsure:. Forgot about the Trinity, but you don't take that to still mean one God? Just to be sure, are you also suggesting that there are other gods besides the Trinity? Would that also include some of the gods of other religions, or is it just Satan and other angels?

No. Not one God. Are you familiar with henotheism? I personally think that explains the position of the ancient Israelite and early Christian a great deal better than monotheism or polytheism. To the writers of the Bible a god was anything or anyone who was mighty/venerated. Other gods besides the trinity? Yes. Moses, judges, angels, false gods like Dagon, Molech, Baal, Ashtoreth, Satan. Just mighty. Jehovah made Moses God to Pharaoh and Aaron. Pharaohs were gods. Of course, there are other gods besides the pagan trinity, which isn't a Bible teaching. Otherwise, why would Jehovah say follow no other gods before him?

Reactions: AgnosticBoy