I watched an interesting debate between to Virginia gubernatorial candidates, Terry McAuliffe (Democrat) and Glenn Youngkin (Republican). One interesting point was about the role of parent's in school education. The Republican candidate position was that parent's should be in charge of what schools are teaching their kids. This has been a recent hot button issue giveb all of the attention of Critical Race Theory and if that should be taught to American schoolchildren. Here's a clip of an exchange between the two candidates:

For debate:
Should parents be in charge of their kids are taught in schools?

Last edited:
Reactions: TracyRN
Yeah, I kind of feel as though parents kind of already have a lot of control over what their kids learn. If they don't like what a school is teaching, there are many other options available including home school which is free, at least where I live (my brother is home schooled and my parents don't have to do much more than give him the computer). Also, depending on how old the kid is, a parent's opinion and ideas largely influence the child's opinion on what is normal--it's not wrong or right, it's just the nature of such a relationship.

If it is not the parents then who gets to decide?

Our kids should be be indoctrinated whether it be with skepticism against religious belief or with other social matters.
That is an important question. I certainly wouldn't trust the government or experts to make that decision and then to expect no parental input on the issue. But I would also ask how do we decide. If there was an objective standard then I'd be content with following that. But when experts make the decisions without being backed by science, then it just becomes too authoritarian-like.

If they don't like what a school is teaching, there are many other options available including home school which is free
Good points quietchick! And that's the ultimate choice. There are many private schools to choose from.