On another thread regarding the Trinity, one member said that the Trinity was a dangerous doctrine since many were killed because of it. But a deeper and more serious problem is when a person or group declares themselves to be infallible while wielding power. People may not question out of fear or they may blindly follow as opposed to testing and questioning. The doctrine I'm referring to is that of 'papal infallibility' which is accepted by Catholics.

papal infallibility, in Roman Catholic theology, the doctrine that the pope, acting as supreme teacher and under certain conditions, cannot err when he teaches in matters of faith or morals. As an element of the broader understanding of the infallibility of the church, this doctrine is based on the belief that the church has been entrusted with the teaching mission of Jesus Christ and that, in view of its mandate from Christ, it will remain faithful to that teaching through the assistance of the Holy Spirit
Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/papal-infallibility

Does Scripture support the doctrine that popes can be infallible?

Last edited:
The Bible does not even support the idea of a “pope”, much less his supposed infallibility.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Hmm = I have little faith in the veracity of ancient scripture, but doesn't the good book imply that the very first pope was a disciple? If so. you have to be one of those selective readers of the gospels if your choice of faith is other than Catholicism.

And as a minor aside, his infallibility is limited to matters of church dogma. Which is why everyone, including Catholics, can ignore the latest papal opinion that NATO was the reason Russia invaded Ukraine.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Hmm = I have little faith in the veracity of ancient scripture, but doesn't the good book imply that the very first pope was a disciple? If so. you have to be one of those selective readers of the gospels if your choice of faith is other than Catholicism.

And as a minor aside, his infallibility is limited to matters of church dogma. Which is why everyone, including Catholics, can ignore the latest papal opinion that NATO was the reason Russia invaded Ukraine.
Again, there is no suggestion in the Bible of there even being a pope. That was the invention of man during the 4th or 5th century. The pope is as fallible as every other man.

Methinks you are reading scripture through the lens of evangelism and they distort the text to make it match your dogma, It seems that this happens to all who reject the one true religion of Catholicism.

Yourhinks wrong. If you believe the Bible established, endorsed or even mentions anything regarding a pope I would invite you to provide book, chapter and verse.

BTW, your post is basically nonsensical. Reading the Bible through the lenses of evangelism distorts the text? What? You just made that up trying to sound smart.

I was merely observing that whenever Scripture appears to be contrary to the evangelical point of view, a reason is found to discount its message. Usually because the verse has been taken out of context. or has some esoteric meaning not visible to the lay man.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Used by the Catholics as the foundation of the papacy, assailed by the evangelics as doing no such thing.

And I have neither the time nor the desire to dig up old posts when you used the "out of context" reason.

For proper understanding you need to go back several verses and have a basic understanding of the Greek language. In verse 15 Jesus asked His disciples who they thought He was. Peter answered that Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God. In verse 18 Jesus calls Simon “Peter” which means “a piece of rock; a stone”. But then Jesus said His church would be built on this “rock” which in Greek means “boulder; a mass of rock”. Peter was a stone, but the rock Jesus built His church on was the truth that Peter professed Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of God.

So no, there is no indication in the Bible of a pope. Especially Peter being the first pope. James, the half brother of Jesus, was in charge of the first church. So what you have done is misapply scripture just as Catholics have done. Again, there is nothing in scripture that suggests the office of pope.