Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021
When Reagan was President, some end-timer evangelical Christian types really did worry that he might be the anti-Christ. Well, he was largely successful and quite popular and in their worldview, the anti-Christ would be popular. Plus, in the 1980s some second-coming and rapture people really thought the year 2000 was some of absolute, final deadline.

And then, Reagan’s full name:

Ronald
Wilson
Reagan

well, the number of letters is 6 6 6,

and some people really do have this kind of magical view of reality.

=============

Among the people in my neighborhood, there are two older men who I think are both widowers.

One bike rides for exercise and works on his recreational vehicle. He is very rational.

A second older man — I’ve even helped him carry peat moss! — has various conspiracy beliefs. He lives the more excitement-filled life! Even if I could debunk him, it would be like letting all the air out of an end-timer person. [ most I can probably realistically hope for is probably the equivalent of getting a highly evangelical person to appreciate the fact that most religions have their own version of the Golden Rule ]

I'm not convinced of any thinking that utilizes numerology. As long as you're able to use anything from anywhere, then you're bound to find patterns and connections.

You left out Clinton's name :) But then you can make a rule to say that name doesn't matter.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
As long as you're able to use anything from anywhere, then you're bound to find patterns and connections.
I’m also not a fan of thinking numbers are magical. But again, some people are.

For example, people have looked for patterns in the Bible for hundreds of years.

I’m also not a fan of thinking numbers are magical. But again, some people are.

For example, people have looked for patterns in the Bible for hundreds of years.
If I win the lotto twice...well maybe even once, then I might start to think there's something to numerology. :)

Regarding the Bible, I'd have to see the methodology. It would have to involve something more than just picking numbers seemingly anywhere which opens the door to selection biases, etc. I'd be into it if the information was useful, like being predictive. I'd even be into it if it involves meaningful words and messages, something like what William does on his thread on Message Generation.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Regarding the Bible, I'd have to see the methodology. It would have to involve something more than just picking numbers seemingly anywhere which opens the door to selection biases, etc.
And I think that’s a key point.

But instead, the person somehow convinces themselves they’re not just randomly picking. For example, maybe the person contrasts and compares enough themes, names, and places that some kind of match or near-match is highly likely.