Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021
Sometimes you need to tear the party apart.

So, here’s looking at you Gavin Newsom, Governor of California, age 56.

And here’s looking at you Gretchen Whitmer, Governor of Michigan, age 52. She’s probably the better choice because Michigan’s a swing state.

Normally, a person would have to feel it in the gut to take that step of running for President. But maybe you can warm to the job? Or …

Joe Manchin

John Bel Edwards

Elizabeth Warren

For we need someone who’s highly likely to be in good health for the next 4 and 1/2 years.

I know no other Democrat candidate, except someone more moderate than Joe Biden, that all Democrats can support. You have some names being thrown out that seem popular, but looking deeper, they are probably only popular with just a segment of the party - I'm thinking of VP Kamala Harris or Michigan Gov. Whitmer.

Honestly, after this election there should be an age limit and a standard cognitive test that all candidates must pass before being able to run for president.

Last edited:
Gov. Whitmer.
per Wikipedia, she doesn’t take that Grand Bargain position on immigration — “Earned Amnesty,” plus Guest Worker Min. Wage which I personally like this.

And I can point out that President George W. Bush advocated something very similar around 2007, although he carefully said requiring back taxes + fine is not amnesty.

Anyway —

This is why I think we should look at recent or current southern Democratic governors, who are going to tend to be conservative or moderate.

Another is Governor Andy Beshear of Kentucky.

Last edited:
I think to be president takes a lot of mental prep let alone a lot of other planning. Candidates usually decide a year or more in advance that they want to run for such a position, and already start putting things in place to make it happen, filing paper work, paying fees, hiring campaign staff, rearranging schedule, etc. Unless there is some rule where the Democrat party leaders can just handpick a nominee instead of having to go through voting.

Sadly, I think it is too late for anyone to come around and have a big impact. Plus, I doubt Biden would step aside - which is the good or bad side of being strong willed. I would wonder though if he's cancel or postpone the next debate :unsure:

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
filing paper work, paying fees, hiring campaign staff,
Normally, that’s true. For example, if I wanted to run for U.S. Senate in my state of Texas, I’d have to file before Jan. 1 for a March primary.

But the “major” parties have automatic ballot access, at least they do in Texas. So, whomever they nominate will be on the ballot.

filing paper work, paying fees, hiring campaign staff,
Normally, that’s true. For example, if I wanted to run for U.S. Senate in my state of Texas, I’d have to file before Jan. 1 for a March primary.

But the “major” parties have automatic ballot access, at least they do in Texas. So, whomever they nominate will be on the ballot.
Yes, and I would imagine running a state election would be easier because you're just limited to the laws of your state. But it seems there are some different laws from state to state. I'm only going by accounts, mostly second-hand, about what Kanye West went through when he ran for president. He has to spend lots of money and still some states where he applied didn't even let him on the ballot.

I think it would be cool to have some documentary about what really goes on in a campaign and cover topics that the average joe would want to know, like the process, the difficulty, the amount of money needed, etc. It just seems that unless you're sponsored by one of the big parties, your chances are just pretty much slim.

Just read one report on CNN that was about statements President Biden made a day or so ago in a meeting with Democrat governors. One source reported that Biden feels that he doesn't get enough sleep and wants to have all daily events done by 8pm. I'm not sure if there's some set schedule for the presidency but I'd imagine that the president is always on call for some important decision. I'm really starting to question more than before now if Biden can really handle being president eventhough he really wants the title.

I still think though that he's competent enough to make it through another presidency, but then again I don't think he'd make a great president that is able to stay on top of things. NOt that I think that Trump would be a perfect president either. But I am curious what other candidate can the Democrats offer. If it's a good one, then that alone might push more people to call on Biden to drop out. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Looks like the mainstream media is centering on VP Harris as a potential for Biden replacement. I think Democrats would at least see her better choice than Trump of course. The question is how would Independents and moderate/swing Republicans and Democrats view her.

And yes, according to this reporting, there is historical precedent for a nominee to be handpicked (as opposed to being chosen by voters):

Agreed. Given that President Trump is a convicted felon, this looks pretty bad on the Dems. That to me shows his conviction is having little impact on people's opinion of him or not enough to make him lose by much.

The Democrats can use a passionate and strong person that is willing to stand up for them and stand up to Trump. Kamala Harris doesn't strike me as being the one. Senator Elizabeth Warren could do it and she's smart. Not sure about her appeal though. I'm not a fan of California Gov. Newsome after seeing his debate performance against Florida Governor DeSantis.