I am late to reading this guy but I can see a connection with Karen Armstrong's books and thinking.
Myth and mythology. Metaphors. The hero's journey.
Now my Christian self might take offence that the story of Jesus is just a myth. The hero's journey. Ultimate symbol of love being self sacrifice on the cross.
Christians believe that the story of Jesus is a true myth. That he performed all those miracles, taught wisdom, died on a cross and rose from the dead. Part of me insists this all actually occurred. But the new part of me thinks it might be just a powerful metaphor to teach sacred spiritual truths.
I can't help thinking different cultures all express their own version of truth. Their sacred story. We all need a sacred myth to make sense of our lives .
So I'm reading Campbell at the moment, with dread. Dread that I am on an heretical path. That Satan is distracting me from the ultimate truth, Jesus Christ.
But then a benevolent God wouldn't feel threatened or dismayed by me searching like this. Surely??
Are the fundies right? Those of us unsaved are destined for Hades??? Hope not

I was a pretty simple minded atheist when Bill Moyer broadcast the Hero With A Thousand Faces program on PBS with Joseph Campbell. I remember even then being as impressed with Moyer as with Campbell. Not long ago if asked for my favorite Christian he'd have been the one I'd name. Now I know quite a few Christians whose opinion I value highly, some of whom will acknowledge their human epistemic position should and does dampen their certainty and incline them to emphasize their faith instead.