I created a thread about the recent events involving Russia invading Ukraine.

In this thread, I want to find out if the Bible has any answers to this question in any of its end-time prophecies. So far I've found that some biblical commentators say that the Bible definitely talks about Russia in Ezekiel chapter 38. Here's one some info. from gotquestions.org:
With Russia back in the news in a big way, many people are wondering if recent events in eastern Europe have anything to do with end-times prophecy—and, if so, how? Much of the discussion has to do with an ancient prophecy from Ezekiel:
“The word of the Lord came to me: ‘Son of man, set your face against Gog, of the land of Magog,
Magog is a land “in the far north,” from Israel’s point of view (Ezekiel 38:15; 39:2). Most Bible commentators interpret “Magog” as Russia—and, indeed, Russia is straight north of Israel, all the way up to the Arctic Circle. According to this view, “Rosh” is a reference to Russia, “Meshek” is either Moscow or the people north of the Black Sea (the area of southern Russia and Ukraine), and “Tubal,” which is always listed with Meshek in Scripture, is identified as a city in Siberia or an area in central Turkey.
Others see “Magog” as a general term used in Ezekiel’s day to identify barbarians living near the Black and Caspian Seas. Regardless of the exact locations of Magog, Tubal, and Meshek, there is no doubt that the general area includes portions of Russia and the former Soviet Union, and possibly some Arab countries.
[emphasis added]

So if we accept that this land of "Magog" is Russia, here are some passages that stick out to me...

[This is in reference to God, the person from Magog (or Russia)] Ezekiel 38:8
After many days you will be called to arms. In future years you will invade a land that has recovered from war, whose people were gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate. They had been brought out from the nations, and now all of them live in safety. 9 You and all your troops and the many nations with you will go up, advancing like a storm; you will be like a cloud covering the land. (NIV)
vss. 14-16
‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: In that day, when my people Israel are living in safety, will you not take notice of it? 15 You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you, all of them riding on horses, a great horde, a mighty army. 16 You will advance against my people Israel like a cloud that covers the land. In days to come, Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I am proved holy through you before their eyes.

And lastly, the following passages below refer to Israel being attacked by Gog, but it sounds eerily similar to the behavior/rationale (according to some experts and the general population) that Russia displayed towards Ukraine in this ongoing invasion.

Vss. 10-13 (again regarding Gog who is from Magog or Russia)
10 “‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: On that day thoughts will come into your mind and you will devise an evil scheme. 11 You will say, “I will invade a land of unwalled villages; I will attack a peaceful and unsuspecting people—all of them living without walls and without gates and bars. 12 I will plunder and loot and turn my hand against the resettled ruins and the people gathered from the nations, rich in livestock and goods, living at the center of the land.

For debate:
1. Does the land of Magog refer to Russia?
2. Is Ezekiel giving an end-time prophecy in the above passages?
3. Are there any clues or reasons today that would indicate that Russia would attack Israel?

Reactions: Chapabel
Ezekiel 38: 15 “ . . all of them riding on horses, a great horde, a mighty army.”

As overblown as the Russian invasion is — I mean, I would have expected them to invade areas with separatist activity — in no way is this a “great horde.”

Compared to both WWI “The Great War” and WWII, this is small potatoes.

Although we of course sympathize with each and every human life affected.

It looks like you've done your homework. I would take the position you have posted that Russia fits the description of Magog as given in the Bible.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Ezekiel 38-39 are difficult prophecies. I doubt that this is a future invasion of Israel by Islamic nations led by Russia. I doubt that the land of Magog is Russia and Gog is its leader. Gog in also mentioned after the Millenium which makes this even more difficult. Gog is said to gather an innumerable number of people into battle. I have my own ideas about this. It seems that either 'communist Russia' or several Islamic hordes survive during the Millennium. The only way some explain this is by saying the Gog invasion occurs after the Millennium. But that also has a host of contradictions.

Revelation 20:8 "And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea."

I'm not convinced that Gog represents a Russian ruler or that the land of Magog is Russia. There are other possibilities. Fred Zaspel had a great page on the nations of Ezekiel 38 and 39. I believe like he does that they all originate in Asia Minor - todays Turkey. And there are a few clues.

Ez. 38:5
Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:

If Gog is the leader of Russia, why would countries dominated by Islam join in the battle? What this does seem to indicate this 'land of Magog' a nuclear power since Israel burns their weapons for 7 years. Ez. 38:9...

And they that dwell in the cities of Israel shall go forth, and shall set on fire and burn the weapons, both the shields and the bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the handstaves, and the spears, and they shall burn them with fire seven years:

Contrary to popular belief that Turkey doesn't have nukes - it technically does since the USA has between 50 - 90 of them at Incirlik Air Base. So, this could also infer Persia/Iran which we know has nuclear capabilities.

I believe Ez. 38-39 is an invasion of Islamic nations. If you look at the nations mentioned in Psalm 83:4, they are all Islamic nations today...

"They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance."

Magog - the 2nd son of Japheth, grandson of Noah, and progenitor of several tribes northward from Israel. Believed to be between Cappadocia and Media. Cappadocia remained part of the Ottoman Empire until 1922, when it became part of the modern state of Turkey.

Gomer - Many associate this with Germany through word association. Gomer was the eldest son of Japheth and grandson of Noah; the progenitor of the early Cimmerians and identified with Cappadocia.

Togarmah - son of Gomer, grandson of Japheth, and great grandson of Noah, proper noun with reference to a territory, territory settled by the descendants of Togarmah. Probably the area known as Armenia.

Meshech - Interpreters like to say this is Moscow simply by-word association. Meshech is a son of Japheth, grandson of Noah, and progenitor of peoples to the north of Israel - northwest Armenia.

Descendants of Meshech often mentioned in connection with Tubal, Magog, and other northern nations including the Moschi, a people on the borders of Colchis and Armenia.

Tubal - a son of Japheth a region in east Asia Minor

Persia - A huge empire today associated with Iran.

Ethiopia - The son of Ham and grandson of Noah. Means "black'. Ethiopia is today at least 50% Muslim.

Libya - Another Northern African country dominated by Islam - 96 % Muslim.

Turkey - .01 Christian population - 99% Muslim population.

I just don't believe that Gog and Magog and the nations of Ezekiel 38-39 have anything to do with Russia but do believe it to be the rising beast resembling a bear in Daniel 7:5

"And behold another beast, a second, like to a bear, and it had three ribs in the mouth of it between the teeth of it: and they said thus unto it, Arise, devour much flesh."

To "raised up itself on one side" could be the Eastern front of Russia now at wat in Ukraine. The three ribs could be three countries that Russia takes out. Ukraine may be one of them.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
The traditional rendering of Amos 7:1 reads as follows:

"Thus hath the Lord GOD shewed unto me; and, behold, he formed grasshoppers in the beginning of the shooting up of the latter growth; and, lo, it was the latter growth after the king's mowings." Amos 7:1

Our English Bible takes its translation from the Masoretic text, a 9th century source. However, an earlier translation of the Old Testament into Greek, known as the Septuagint, embodies a different rending of Amos 7:1:

"Thus the Lord showed me, and behold a swarm of locusts were coming, and behold,
one of the young devastating locusts was Gog, the King."

In Revelation 9 we find an entire chapter about locust. It's one of the most demonic chapters in the bible. Revelation 9 has long been associated with the Arabs and Muslims for several reasons. Locusts are figurative of the Arabs in the Old Testament. Both the scorpions and locust have the Mid-East as their natural habitat, especially in Arabia. In Arabic the word "Arab" and "locust" sound similar.

In Judges 6:5 and 7:12 the Midianites and the Amalekites, who are likely related to the Ishmaelites, are Arab tribes and are associated with grasshoppers or ‘LOCUST.’ Gesenius says that the Midianites are of an Arab nation, and the Amalekites are the descendants of Esau. In Genesis 37:25 the Midianites seem identified with the Ishmaelites. Strong's says Midian or Midianite' = "strife." Nahum says about the Arabs...

"Make thyself many as the locusts." Nah.3:5
Coincidence?