Lately, there has been a big deal made about what schoolchildren are being taught when it comes to social issues in the classroom. Teaching critical race theory in schools was a point of contention, but an even more recent issue has involved teaching gender identity.

I think most would agree that school is for education. What many would dispute or question is if gender identity, critical race theory, and other social issues should be taught in schools or if doing so amounts to indoctrination? Republicans, like Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, have gone as far as banning such topics in schools but those on the other side welcome such topics in schools.

For debate
Is it indoctrination to teach kids about social issues?

Would the following be an example of going too far?...
Making a kid wear a dress...

Last edited:
For debate
In my view, it depends on the social issue and how it's taught. If the social issue is not settled historical or scientific fact, then it should not be taught to school children. For instance, slavery is a historical fact and should be taught but the unproven aspects of Critical Race theory should not be taught. OR if you're going to teach CRT, then you should at least let students know about the unproven aspects and that those parts are being taught for informational purposes, and not as some unquestionable doctrine.

If this is not done, then we risk treating all social issues as being the same when that is not the case at all. Social issues can be made up or based on nothing more than some group thinking they should have special status and if they don't get it, then they claim discrimination.

Would the following be an example of going too far?...
Making a kid wear a dress...
In my view, eventhough the goal of teaching on social issues is to reduce bigotry, but in some cases it can go too far and we must acknowledge that. Teaching kids about social issues should not involve pushing it on children, as if they have to experience or go through what they're being taught. As in the case of the video, teaching someone about gender norms or alt genders should not involve putting a boy in a dress without his or his parent's consent. I would definitely consider that not only as indoctrination but also trying to get someone to be gender neutral in which case it is wrong.

Last edited:
The way Republicans will go too far is when their sensitivity level is too high, as in, any mention of Critical race theory or gender neutrality will be banned. The way Democrats might go too far is by being too tolerant, as in allow any message like having alt genders taught as truth or even pushing kids to try it out for themselves.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm giving the extreme cases.

Last edited:
For debate
Interestingly, I can also ask if it is "indoctrination" to teach kids about religion. I know plenty of colleges teach religious studies. Here's one policy in Florida, the state where this seems to be a big issue...
Yes. Florida law authorizes public schools to offer a secular and objective study of the Bible and of religion.10 Thus, courses studying the Bible as literature or comparing religions are permissible; a course offered with the intent of indoctrinating students in the practices of a particular religion is impermissible.11
Source: Florida House of Representatives - Education fact sheet

This is consistent with my view that it all depends on how you teach it. Having boys try on skirts is pushing it because it's engaging in action (esp. with young kids who are more impressionable), and some can say it's trying to make the boy comfortable with being gender neutral.

It amazes me when Conservatives consider any mention of LGTBQ+ as being indoctrination. I think teaching "beliefs" and saying that isaid belief is okay, Christian or anti-Christian, would be indoctrination or bordering on it. But if a teacher just wants to tell his or her students that being gay is okay or causes no harm, then that is teaching facts. That shouldn't be considered indoctrination nor alarm anyone.

What's often missing in the conversation from both sides is what would be reasonably be considered indoctrination and what wouldn't. For instance, if teachers were saying that all students should live out the LGTBQ lifestyle or try it or put them in situations to act it out, such as I posted in the OP, then we'd have a legitimate conversation about pushing a lifestyle or indoctrination.