Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021
He mentioned the yearly Davos meeting where the rich and powerful meet in some town in Switzerland. He said, they don’t want us to own anything anymore. That’s certainly true for tech companies which want monthly charges. But it’s like this guy races all the way to the end game.

He mentioned Blackstone which is a huge investment company having fingers in a lot of different pies. For example, he claimed they have loaned money to the Chinese military. That may be an Internet urban legend. But I bet they own major shares in companies which have sold to the Chinese military. And that’s not illegal. And China is a fellow competitor on the world stage, not an enemy, not even an adversary at this point in time.

And interestingly, some people on the political left worry about the same thing — that powerful corporations will get even more powerful. And that the rest of us will basically end up as serfs, rather than as free citizens in established and functioning democracies.

================

I’m a Democrat.

I mean, just to lay my cards on the table and all. And I think a person can learn a lot talking with a person in another party, provided you have patience, can keep your cool and all that.

Hey Lemur, these things are hard to prove some times. In fact, given all of the misinformation out there, the type of views that you bring up may just be taken for granted or as some type of conspiracy theory.

I think there's some truth to it and that is why we shouldn't allow any monopolies.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
the type of views that you bring up may just be taken for granted or as some type of conspiracy theory

Yeah, at times it does sound like a conspiracy. And to thicken the plot, some things are a conspiracy.

For example, did GM [General Motors], Firestone, Standard Oil of California, Phillips Petroleum, Mack Trucks — through a subsidiary company — buy up trolley companies in the 1940s for the purpose of replacing the trolley cars with buses? The following article says both Yes and No.

To some extent, GM, Firestone, Standard Oil of California, etc, just took advantage of trends already in progress.

* The Guardian is a UK newspaper on the left side of the political spectrum. I think to the credit of the left wing, for they generally do pretty good journalism with some mistakes of course.

Last edited: