As an agnostic, I feel that I've gotten good at changing my mind on intellectual matters. Of course, I know that everyone has the ability to change their mind, but where I think agnostics would excel is in their willingness to do it, and in the matters (polarizing matters, religion, politics, philosophy, etc) that they're willing to do it. The obvious benefit here would enable someone to be good at getting to the truth and/or accepting it. In contrast, being unwilling to give up false beliefs will hold you back from the truth.

I'll keep it short and simple. Here are two things that have helped me change my mind on things when I need to:
1. Be open-minded. It's one thing to say you're open-minded, or to have it just involve you listening to the other side, but are you really open to being convinced? The reason why I bring agnosticism into the picture is because Thomas Huxley advocated for it. Here's one of the places where he does a good job illustrating open-mindedness:
The results of the working out of the agnostic principle will vary according to individual knowledge and capacity, and according to the general condition of science...

And the only obligation accepted is to have the mind always open to conviction.
But, if you were to meet with such a phœnix and to tell him that you had discovered that two and two make five, he would patiently ask you to state your reasons for that conviction, and express his readiness to [247] agree with you if he found them satisfactory.
[emphasis added]
Source: Huxley, Thomas. "Agnosticism." Collected Essays V (1889). I'm sure it can be found online for free.

2. Not committing to anything unproven (another standard Huxley advocated for). I don't believe this is humanly possible nor practical as it would involve shunning all beliefs. But I do believe you can get close to that standard by not fully committing (i presume you're bound to have some acceptance on unproven things) to any unproven side or matter. And to have reinforce that further, be willing to question everything, including your own side.

I figured, if you don't have much beliefs to begin with, or don't commit to them in any strong way, then the less you'll have to change your mind on. And not holding on to them strongly, will make it easier to give them up.

Feel free to share any thoughts or experiences on this topic.

Last edited:
i might suggest that one even limit their commitment to anything “proven“ too, since overdoing 2 can ruin 1; we tend to close our minds when we think we have “proof” of something. Proof and facts are the province of lawyers and gnostics, and believers. One might note that the word “truth“ is often used in these contexts.

the Bible has a few descriptions as well as direct advice to change your mind, become like a little child being the foremost probably, but this description is little explored and almost surely usually misinterpreted; the analogy of a little child might easily invoke other qualities that might be misconstrued in the context of “mind.”

And It also describes a believer (i include atheism here) who has gone off the deep end, so to speak, but of course these descriptions should only be employed for personal reflection, at ones own risk

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
"he's only one year old, ma'am; he doesnt have opinions"
ripped off from somewhere

The Pearl is likely even related to this...guess it shouldnt be just blurted out tho hmm

Last edited:
;)"he's only one year old, ma'am; he doesnt have opinions"
ripped off from somewhere
That is the bbyrd version of the Bible if it's related to Jesus's point about becoming like children. Two year-olds might not count. Anyone who has raised a two year-old might get that!

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009
That is the bbyrd version of the Bible if it's related to Jesus's point about becoming like children. Two year-olds might not count. Anyone who has raised a two year-old might get that!
ya, irdk what is meant by such an ambiguous phrase tbh, but i get that the Bible often puts stuff that way on purpose? i guess to "hide wisdom from the wise." my current theory is that 3-4 year old "little children" go best with the theory of mind, as there are familiar allegories in it...i guess depending upon whose theory of mind one adheres to

Reactions: AgnosticBoy