Jul 1, 2021
In Australia, gambling is popular. One gambling option for racehorses is "each way". You gamble to win and/get a place.
Just in case it gets beaten narrowly.
Now I'm using the same expression for gambling on Jesus as God's existence. I am having an each way bet. I'm not sure Christianity will win, but it is surely close.
I'm afraid to vote for atheism. What if God does exist? Then I will surely pay the price of not voting for God.
So many Christians must feel the same way. They are afraid not to believe. So they believe.
Now the wishful, hopeful part of me does believe in God. Surely there is a power at work behind the scenes. Superhuman. Beyond our comprehension. The one who says "don't despair. Life has meaning. Your life has meaning. Hang in there. All will be known one day." I believe in a God like that.
Only my cynical intellect will doubt.
Maybe our intellects are the problem. I actually admire simple people who live simple decent lives. Not interested in intellectual debates. Just focussed on integrity and courage. Perhaps they are the real heroes though their purpose was never heroism.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Your point is similar to Pascal's wager. However, had Pascal also emphasized the benefits of applying some religious or spiritual belief just as you did, then more people would probably want to believe. That way you're not only believing to be in a better position in an afterlife (no Hell or simply ceasing to exist as opposed to Hell punishment or ceasing to exist for disbelief), but you're also benefitting from belief in this lifetime. I think a lot of atheists would admit that religious belief comes with positives such as increased hope, increased interconnectedness, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: notsuretobehonest