Multicolored Lemur

Atheist / Agnostic
Nov 23, 2021

Unplug the NFL is advocated by Conservapedia in response to the NFL's paganism, its lack of true athletic competitiveness, its promotion of gambling (more than 23M Americans bet on the Super Bowl) rather than sportsmanship, its bilking of taxpayers for billions for stadiums, and its exclusion of Tim Tebow apparently for quoting the Bible too much. . . ”

I’ll give them the gambling. I’m learning that some people get tremendously, horrendously addicted to gambling. And some of the major networks — including FOX, ESPN, NBC, and maybe more — really put “fantasy football” front and center, in a very in your face way.

But the NFL’s paganism ? ! ?

Do they mean the animal mascots? Or maybe the drum deal Minnesota Viking fans do before games, which I suppose could be viewed as Pagan ritual if you’re really looking to find that. But I think the fans very much take it in good fun.

================

I think this is the case with a lot of conservative thought [or perhaps any broad, over-arching theory] . . .

some good solid ideas we should pay more attention to,

but then, latching onto some ideas which are just way out there.

Reactions: AgnosticBoy
Shock is the same reaction I have. Much of the information you posted from that Conservapedia reads like a conspiracy theory. When it brings up "demonic" and "evil", that just goes too far - things that aren't proven and probably can't be. If anything, it shows a bias or an agenda on the part of the site.

Reactions: Multicolored Lemur
Shock is the same reaction I have. Much of the information you posted from that Conservapedia reads like a conspiracy theory. When it brings up "demonic" and "evil", that just goes too far - things that aren't proven and probably can't be. If anything, it shows a bias or an agenda on the part of the site.
They throw everything and the kitchen sink against the NFL and it just ends up on the ground laying flat.

I think it’s a similar to Wikipedia, with multiple “contributors” and arguments.

It might be better if a single writer took ownership and took the approach: Alright, here’s what bothers me about the NFL.

[and that writer might also say in passing, and this other stuff, maybe I’m slightly interested in and might do a little research, but don’t count on it]

And logical or not, some Christians believe in the devil, and some don’t.

Every since the Protestant Reformation in the 1500s and its emphasis on the inner experience, a lot of the Christian faith has had a big “do it yourself” component.

“Spectator pro football is an inherently addictive -- and selfish -- activity which may increase dementia as excessive television watching generally does.[3] Anecdotal evidence of addicted football fans developing dementia is commonplace. . . ”

Watching football is not going to cause dementia! ? ! :D

But a steady diet of sub-concussive hits might cause CTE.

CTE = Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy

One study found that 30% of NFL athletes were expected to have cognitive problems years ahead of time. And 30%, say for the industrial use of a chemical and OSHA regulation is just off the charts. For example, if something common in chemical plants had a 30% chance of causing pancreatic cancer after ten years of exposure, no way would it be allowed.

* average NFL career is under 4 years

** Yes, NFL players are adults paid HUGE MONEY and at least somewhat reasonably aware of the risks

*** not the case for under 18 high school, junior high, Pop Warner, and Pee Wee players. They’re at lower risk level, but still.

On the issue of football and brain damage . . .

if I was a school board member K - 12,

I’d be prepared to move football to the Spring only in order to de-emphasize it. To take its place, we’d start two seasons — Fall and Spring — of both boys’ basketball and baseball. And two seasons a year of both girls’ basketball and softball.

We’d have football training exercises for athletes hoping to get a college scholarship. One advantage is that our athletes are less likely to have knee issues when they go to college.

And when it’s a non-radical move, vote to respectfully end high school football.

[that’s much better than a series of safety “improvements” that water it down]

and returning to the NFL’s “paganism,” which is just too fun a topic! :p

Is the NFL pagan because you can have a team mascot of . . .

a Bear, a Lion, a Ram, an Eagle, a Seahawk,

even a Dolphin or a Colt ? ! ?

Watching football is not going to cause dementia! ? ! :D

But a steady diet of sub-concussive hits might cause CTE.

CTE = Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy

One study found that 30% of NFL athletes were expected to have cognitive problems years ahead of time. And 30%, say for the industrial use of a chemical and OSHA regulation is just off the charts. For example, if something common in chemical plants had a 30% chance of causing pancreatic cancer after ten years of exposure, no way would it be allowed.

* average NFL career is under 4 years

** Yes, NFL players are adults paid HUGE MONEY and at least somewhat reasonably aware of the risks

*** not the case for under 18 high school, junior high, Pop Warner, and Pee Wee players. They’re at lower risk level, but still.
Interesting and important facts.

Thanks for sharing. Which is why I only like watching football but I'd never play it. I'm surprised that given our political environment that football has not changed to flag football. Then again, if they got rid of physical contact in football, then they'd also have to ban combat sports, as well. Even women participate in combat sports so they can't claim inequality. :sneaky: