TracyRN

Catholic
Oct 25, 2020
Florida
forums.catholic.com
Worldview

Catholic

A lot of girls use their looks, bodies, and other provocative acts to become popular. A few I remember are the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus, Madonna. As a parent, I try not to be too hard on my daughter when it comes to watch she watches and listens to but I definitely don't want her following these examples.

Is it possible for women to become popular without relying on sexual appeal?

I think it's possible but I don't think sex will ever go away. Sex sells no matter what. The solution might be to get women to become appealing in other ways as opposed to trying to replace sex. This however will only marginalize sex which might be better than having the Kardashians and the Miley Cyrus's becoming the norm for women.

Here is one good explanation on why sex appeal is such a big factor for women:
Women are valued for their sexuality, which refers to how attractive a woman is, how desirable she is in the eyes of a man, and how she relates to men. Often, sexuality in pop culture portrays woman as submissive to men or inferior to men. This is where the idea of a sex object comes in. Women are portrayed simply as objects for consumption as opposed to individuals with agency.
Source: Here

One thing that might help is for people to have a healthy perspective about pop culture. No one, adults included, should be looking to popular culture for education on how to behave in life. Simply view it as one way life can be lived out. You can choose to follow or not. Keep in mind that a lot of the pop culture stars are paid and do it as a business, so some of their behavior is likely very exaggerated from how they really are in real life.

We educate our children on what our values and we also let them know about nonChristian values. It is hard to do since they are so many influences out there from friends to social media. My daughter is the teenager so I pay more attention to her social life right now. I know you're not a Christian but I still like your advice ;)

Reactions: AgnosticBoy