One of my friends is a passionate Democrat. He hates Trump and thinks the majority of the Republican party is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

I'm an independent in that I don't affiliate with any political party. I also try to be non-partisan.

So when my friend is complaining to me about Republicans, I'm also thinking that both sides are corrupt and have problems to them. This is part of what I wanted to discuss here, except I wanted to focus on the problems that apply to both sides, like both sides taking lobbyist money (which supports the view that politicians are driven by money and power).

For Debate:
1. Are there shared problems between the Republican and Democrat parties?
2. If so, then why is one party any better than the other or is it reasonable to conclude that both parties are corrupt?
3. How can we resolve these problems?

Last edited:
Are there shared problems between the Republican and Democrat parties?
Yes, money. Well it's not just money but also who we're willing to get it from. During a presidential debate in 2016, former president Donald Trump claimed that he used to give money to BOTH Republicans and Democrats, including his then opponent Hillary Clinton. President Obama when running for president the first time also exposed how lobbyists had a tight grip on our American political leaders. This "money" obviously influences their decisions. As I mentioned before, it also doesn't help to speak out against bigotry and other wrongs when you're getting paid by those who commit them, like Saudi Arabia.

So yeah, in this case, both parties are corrupt.
2. If so, then why is one party any better than the other or is it reasonable to conclude that both parties are corrupt?
I'd like a Democrat or Republican to answer because in my eyes both parties are corrupt.

3. How can we resolve these problems?
Put policies in place that restrict money and power being able to influence politicians. One easy solution is instituting term limits for all elected officials. Ban insider trading and implement strict consequences. Make politicians accountable. I'm sure there are many more ideas, but we shouldn't leave it to those who abuse power to correct the situation.

Both parties accept money from lobbyists. This will inevitably tied them to special interests which may be one big reason why it's hard to get common sense things done in Washington (common sense to the American people). I remember President Obama, or 2008 candidate Obama, was good at exposing this fact.

Check out this video from a 2008 debate:

Start at the 7:05 mark.

Oh, and don't both parties engage in insider trading?! That's another problem.

Are there shared problems between the Republican and Democrat parties?
Another problem with both political parties is insider trading. The most recent instance is former House speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband who was able to cash in on some big trades that coincided with when legislation was passed.

Meanwhile, Paul Pelosi has faced backlash over stock trades that seem to coincide with legislation in the technology sector.

For example, in July 2021, he pocketed a $4.8 million gain in a Alphabet stock trade the week before the House Judiciary Committee advanced bipartisan antitrust bills targeting Google, Apple, and Amazon.

However, Nancy Pelosi has said repeatedly that her financier husband's trades have nothing to do with her political knowledge.
Source: Yahoo

Nancy Pelosi said her husband didn't have any political knowledge, but the point is that it's so easy for her to have passed on that information to him. It's also not too far-fetched to consider that she's lying since politicians lie all the time.

Earlier this year, Insider and several other news organizations identified 78 members of Congress who didn't properly report their financial trades as mandated by the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge Act of 2012, also known as the STOCK Act.

Congress passed the law a decade ago to combat insider trading and conflicts of interest. But many lawmakers have not fully complied with reporting requirements, leading to calls for a complete ban on trading individual stocks among members of Congress.
Source: same as above