I've been watching Fox News during the time that Afghans were being flown to the U.S. and during the time that some 15,000 Haitian immigrants showed up at the border. The responses from some Fox News commentators seems to be largely negative. In my view, it certainly seemed consistent with xenophobia. Here are some comments from their reporters:

Lara Ingraham, Fox News host, told viewers,
And is it really our responsibility to welcome thousands of potentially unvetted refugees from Afghanistan? All day, we've heard phrases like we promised them. Well, who did? Did you?

Tucker Carlson Tonight" August 16, 2021
So, we're getting it, and if history is any guide, and it's always a guide, we will see many refugees from Afghanistan resettle in our country incoming months probably in your neighborhood. And over the next decade that number may swell to the millions.

So first, we invade and then we're invaded. It is always the same.

Now the first comment was made in the context of security concerns. But the second comment starts to use words like "invade". But I think this next comment helps to shed light on some of the psychology of some Republicans when it comes to asylees and refugees:

Tucker Carlson's opening commentary on the September 21, 2021 edition of "Tucker Carlson Tonight."
Tonight, there are many more coming. Several large groups of Haitians are coming up from various countries in Latin America, where they have been living, to come here. To be perfectly clear: These are not refugees. They are not being persecuted by any government. That's why they haven’t applied for asylum in any of the countries between Haiti and the United States. These are economic migrants — rich enough for a plane ticket and a smartphone, but eager for the free healthcare, education, housing vouchers, food stamps and much more Joe Biden has promised them if they make it.
This manufactured crisis is an attempt to change the demographics of the United States in order to give permanent power to the Democratic Party. That’s all it is, no matter what they tell you.

For debate:
1. Do the above comments from Fox News commentators show xenophobia?
2. Is the Republican party's policies on immigration xenophobic?

Xenophobic:
"having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries."
- Google

For now, I believe that some immigration policies from Republicans are in part influenced by xenophobia. When it comes to the Fox News commentators that I quoted above, stereotyping or making blanket statements such as the following shows negativity towards refugees and migrants:
"These are economic migrants rich enough for a plane ticket and a smartphone, but eager for the free healthcare, education, housing vouchers, food stamps and much more Joe Biden has promised them if they make it."
[emphasis added]

Didn't Trump stereotype Mexican immigrants as being rapists during his 2016 campaign?!

My point is, why focus largely on the negatives, which may account for a small percentage of the cases, and not also the positives? Why paint every immigrant/refugee/asylee with the same brush? This is a clear sign of xenophobia, in my view.

Keep in mind, that like the Republicans, I'm for strong border security. I can completely understand not letting the whole world enter our borders. But none of my reasons are based on the negative stereotypes that some Republicans keep bringing up. My reasons for limiting is strictly about security and our limited resources. Otherwise, I'm will to fully acknowledge that there is a benefit to being a melting pot. Many immigrants are certainly a benefit to our country. Even if they start poor, they can become educated and accomplish great things!

Last edited: