“Abortion restrictions are racist,” said Cathy Torres, an organizing manager with Frontera Fund, a Texas organization that helps pay for abortions. “They directly impact people of color, Black, brown, Indigenous people … people who are trying to make ends meet.”

When it comes to the effect on minorities, the numbers are unambiguous. In Mississippi, people of color comprise 44 percent of the population but 81 percent of women receiving abortions, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, which tracks health statistics.

In Texas, they’re 59 percent of the population and 74 percent of those receiving abortions. The numbers in Alabama are 35 percent and 69 percent. In Louisiana, minorities represent 42 percent of the population, according to the state Health Department, and about 72 percent of those receiving abortions.
- PBS

I mainly wanted to discuss Cathy Torres comment regarding abortion restrictions being racist because many minorities utilize it.

Is it reasonable to interpret this contrary to Cathy Torres thinking, in that abortion itself is racial suppression in that it is suppressing the population of minorities?

I mainly wanted to discuss Cathy Torres comment regarding abortion restrictions being racist because many minorities utilize it.

Is it reasonable to interpret this contrary to Cathy Torres thinking, in that abortion itself is racial suppression in that it is suppressing the population of minorities?
Neither interpretation is correct. I am old school and I have two daughters. I have taught them to have standards. If they can go through life without needing abortions then so can everyone else.

Neither interpretation is correct. I am old school and I have two daughters. I have taught them to have standards. If they can go through life without needing abortions then so can everyone else.
What I find to be a problem, even if it's not one to be called racism, is that the overwhelming majority of abortions in some states are being done to minorities. Cathy Torres, who I quoted in post 1, talks abortion restrictions impacting minorities more, presumably since a lot of minorities opt for it, but I question is that a good thing?

I mean even if abortion itself is not harming a sentient life, but it's certainly not something I'd want on my wall as a trophy. An unwanted pregnancy is not a great thing to think about. Should anyone feel happy that a lot of these women "feel that they can't make ends meet", and that this is happening to a lot of minorities? Shouldn't we be focused on reversing that trend?

As I said before, I don't see the connection you are trying to make. I looked at your link. The largest percentage race-wise to get abortions are minorities. So what? A lot of African Americans play Basketball.

What the author is saying is that limiting their choices is racist. Taking it away from them wont help any.

As I said before, I don't see the connection you are trying to make. I looked at your link. The largest percentage race-wise to get abortions are minorities. So what? A lot of African Americans play Basketball.

What the author is saying is that limiting their choices is racist. Taking it away from them wont help any.
The connection I was trying to make was more theoretical. The way the population stays up is obviously through reproduction. In a worse case scenario, if all minority babies were aborted leaving only Caucasian babies, then some would start to call that a form of racial suppression. That would be the case even if abortion was legal. Although, it would also depend on why minorities are opting for abortion more than the majority.

But I think you and I are on the same page on one key area. We should be working on decreasing abortions in cases where it involves consensual sex. You said that if your family could do it then why not others. To that I'd add, if Caucasians can do it (given the much smaller percentage of them opting for abortions), then why can't minorities do it, or why can't we get them to a place where they don't have to resort to that?

Last edited:
. In a worse case scenario, if all minority babies were aborted leaving only Caucasian babies, then some would start to call that a form of racial suppression.
Let us know when that starts happening. Until then these are the facts..

From: https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2008/08/abortion-and-women-color-bigger-picture
"This much is true: In the United States, the abortion rate for black women is almost five times that for white women. Antiabortion activists, including some African-American pastors, have been waging a campaign around this fact, falsely asserting that the disparity is the result of aggressive marketing by abortion providers to minority communities.

These activists are exploiting and distorting the facts to serve their antiabortion agenda. They ignore the fundamental reason women have abortions and the underlying problem of racial and ethnic disparities across an array of health indicators. The truth is that behind virtually every abortion is an unintended pregnancy. This applies to all women—black, white, Hispanic, Asian and Native American alike. Not surprisingly, the variation in abortion rates across racial and ethnic groups relates directly to the variation in the unintended pregnancy rates across those same groups.

Black women are not alone in having disproportionately high unintended pregnancy and abortion rates. The abortion rate among Hispanic women, for example, although not as high as the rate among black women, is double the rate among whites. Hispanics also have a higher level of unintended pregnancy than white women. Black women's unintended pregnancy rates are the highest of all. These higher unintended pregnancy rates reflect the particular difficulties that many women in minority communities face in accessing high-quality contraceptive services and in using their chosen method of birth control consistently and effectively over long periods of time. Moreover, these realities must be seen in a larger context in which significant racial and ethnic disparities persist for a wide range of health outcomes, from diabetes to heart disease to breast and cervical cancer to sexually transmitted infections (STI), including HIV."

There are aprox. 100,000 abortions done each year. 96.50% of them are done as a FREE form of birth control....paid for by taxpayers. If a woman doesn't want to get pregnant...there are many FREE ways to avoid it in the first place. I say, make a law that forces those 96.50% have to pay for their abortion out of pocket. These women are intentionally getting pregnant just SO they can rub it in the faces of people who are being taxed to pay for it.

There are aprox. 100,000 abortions done each year. 96.50% of them are done as a FREE form of birth control....paid for by taxpayers. If a woman doesn't want to get pregnant...there are many FREE ways to avoid it in the first place. I say, make a law that forces those 96.50% have to pay for their abortion out of pocket. These women are intentionally getting pregnant just SO they can rub it in the faces of people who are being taxed to pay for it.
I agree with some of your points here. I also question some of these abortions not just in terms of cost but also judgement. In terms of cost, I'm sure abortions are more expensive than contraceptives (e.g. condoms). If something is avoidable, and it saves money, then why can't we tell some of these women to be more responsible by using contraception? And I'm referring to cases that involve what you said, " done as a FREE form of birth control....paid for by taxpayers" (which excludes rape, incest, and other more serious cases where the woman may not be sure on going through a pregnancy or not).

In terms of judgement, I'd also question how many abortions does a woman need to have before figuring out that she's not ready for a baby? Ideally, that should be figured out even before having sex, but when you have one woman needing more than one abortion, then you gotta start questioning her judgement.